Thursday, December 6, 2012

Photographs! (Are photographs merely photos?)


This blog is to all the photography lovers.
No matter how the sophisticated the camera, the photographer is still the one who makes the picture. ~ Doug Bartlow
Photographs, are not just memories, neither just a specific place, nor a dear person captured in time. Has anyone ever asked this question to oneself? Or has anyone looked at a picture and then looked and felt beyond just what he could see? Perhaps, one has or maybe not.
This might sound narcissistic but recently I was admiring a picture of myself. Yes, looking at myself and thinking oh how nice I look, probably that kind only but then I felt there's much more to it for instance the photo said volumes about the kind of person I am. I was confused because why that ordinary place, why I that dress (I was trying my sisters new cloths when she wasn't looking)wink and still I seem to love that particular picture. And then the random string of thoughts pushed me towards deep thinking and I found my answer to why? .. why, because i felt myself in the photograph to be more precise the photo had captured my soul. People might wonder how a soul can be captured! I know, true it might sound lame, but somehow the click wonderfully captured the person I am.
And that was just a small incident, which had happened to me even before with another pic of mine but this time I went deeper because of a small reason I'd mention later. And then the trail of thoughts made me wonder are photographs just merely pictures of a place, people or objects.? Well no, I don't think so. Every photograph has a story to go with it. Sometimes the story is so clear that you can see a strangers face and make it out. Sometimes it might conceal an untold story, a hidden truth. Whatever it might be, there has to be one.
Apart from that captured story there's another thing which I believe it captures - the photographer's feelings, his mood, and most importantly his perspective. One can show you only what one wants you to see through their photographs. This for me is quite amusing because very beautifully a photographer can decide what we see in a picture but how we see it is totally up to us.
The reason I mentioned above which lead me to which lead to write about something as simple as 'photographs', which for some might just mean a captured memory but hopefully for many others like me might mean much more is a mere application called 'Instagram' It's a worldwide famous app used by billions and have even more users than twitter. Basically its a photo sharing site for photography lovers. It's amazing to see thousands of people capturing their 'feelings' in a click. And yes indeed IG inspired me to look into every photograph and see beyond it.
In the end just a small request, I'm not saying every person can understand the depth of a picture but if you ever happen to come across such a picture which you feels captures your soul or the photographer's soul, do share it, with anybody you feel like, just share. Spread the love for photography and obsession with photographs.
Love All. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment